Working with causes
As a thinking musician who believes in contributing back to society, Smita Bellur has joined many causes with her music contribution:
- Fund-raiser (gratis) for a leading Charitable Cancer research hospital – Sri Shankara Cancer Foundation - 2013
- Rotary’s End-Polio Cause (gratis) that aims to raise 200 million dollars as a matching grant to Bill gates foundation grant. The proceeds from the sale of the CD are entirely for the End-Polio cause - 2010
- Working with an NGO that spreads awareness about the National rural Employment guarantee scheme such that rural unemployed get to know their rights to employment/wages – composing and singing songs about the scheme. This will be aired by A.I.R in rural areas - 2009
- Working with a country wide artistes-co-operative Sangeet Sankalp
- Music for Communal harmony and national integration: Music has no borders of religion, caste, race or language. The universal nature of Indian classical and spiritual music is explored to the fullest to bring out the harmonious aspects of different faiths.
- Shishunala Shareef special: Compositions of Karnataka’s great muslim poet whose works depict the harmony among religions and different strata of society.
- Jashn-e-Soofi: Compositions of the great Sufi poets of India like 13th century poet - Amir Khusrau, Bulla Shah, Kabir, Khwaja Bandanawaz Gesudaraz,Baba Bulleh Shah etc. Presented at several fora like corporate events (SAP Labs India, SAP Analyst Day etc), Indian Institute of World Culture; televised and broadcast by news channel TV9, Dargah Shareef.
- Daasa-Soofi-Sharanara Anubhaava Lahari: Exploring the common threads of Dasa, Soofi and Shivasharana philosophies with multi-lingual music that celebrates 'unity in diversity'.